Club was formally established at a Public Meeting
held at the Star Coffee Tavern on 18th October
1905. At the meeting, Mr James Black was
appointed Chairman, Mr Allan as Hon Secretary
and M J Black as Hon Treasurer.
Bowling first took place at
the Somerset County Cricket Club at an annual
rent of £10, the green being maintained
by the Cricket Club at the expense of the Bowling
Club. In 1907, the Club erected a Pavilion
at a cost of £8. 10s. 0d and the following
year, a further £15 was spent on alterations
including provision of a shed with wash-ups, tables,
chairs, cutlery etc.
In 1912 the Club had to vacate the green at the County
Cricket Club. An application was then made to the
Taunton Town Council for the lease of land so that a green
could be constructed and established. The Town Council
agreed to lease part of Vivary Lands and it was then that
the Taunton Bowling Club Ltd (“the Company”)
was formed of members who purchased shares to obtain the
finances necessary to establish the green and to enter
into a lease of the land with the Town Council. This
work was completed in December 1912, the turf laid and
the green formally opened by the Mayor and Chief Magistrate
of Taunton Town Council on 5th June 1913.
The Club continued to flourish between the two World Wars
whilst there was little major development of Club premises. One
significant development in 1930 was the admission of ladies
to playing membership of the Club: the first bowling club
in Taunton to admit ladies.
The present Club colours were introduced in 1952. The
central motif of a new Club badge was a chestnut
tree. The light blue colour was established
as early as 1908 when dark blue blazers with light
blue cording were adopted. The Club badge
was altered in 1961 when it was agreed that the
badge should show the Taunton crest of arms on
a shield with our Club colours being the background. The
Town motto ‘Defendamus’ (we defend)
is included around the crest with the Club’s
In 1961 there was an urgent need to
replace the accommodation, building proposals were submitted
to Taunton Deane Borough Council to provide a Pavilion
with a larger capacity including an indoor bowling rink. With
the problem of not being able to borrow money on a non-freehold
property, the indoor bowling green had to be abandoned. However,
the building of the new Pavilion proceeded.
During the 1980s the Hon Secretary
was given an individual mandate to pursue indoor bowling
at the Club and late in September 1984 indoor bowling
commenced. The funding of the project was provided
by our members, grants and loans from Taunton Deane
Formal planning approval for the redevelopment
of the Clubhouse was received late in 1990 and the new
Clubhouse was officially opened on 13th July 1991.
There has been one more major
development of the Club since 1991: The boundaries of
the outdoor green were previously hedged and these have
been replaced by brick walling and decorative fencing
with flower borders. A new maintenance building was
also built, in brick and tile to match the rest of the
buildings. This was essential as volunteer members carry
out all maintenance to the Club and the outdoor green.
The Club has been refurbished and updated since that
time including new indoor carpet and underlay, new lighting,
heating and ventilation systems in the indoor hall,
new carpets throughout the Club, new lockers available
to all members, new lighting, tables and chairs in the
dining area and regularly redecorated.
The Club is very proud of its achievements
over the years and continues to prosper.